Oasis Swimming Complex at Station Road, Sunnybank in 1964, originally uploaded by valleygirl2005.
The Oasis opened in 1938 and was formerly located at Station Road. It was promoted as one of Queensland’s most beautiful gardens and one of Brisbane’s most popular pleasure resorts. The Oasis covered seven acres of lush gardens, which featured a comprehensive collection of tropical plants, three swimming pools, a splendid sub-artesian water supply from eighty feet below the surface, a wading pool, a playground and a mini-zoo of Australian birds and animals. As well as a kiosk that served picnickers morning or afternoon teas and light lunches in the delightful surroundings. It was particularly popular during the post-war years and up to five thousand tourists visited The Oasis in the one day.
The Oasis would be passed by when construction of the Southeast Freeway to Mains Road during the late 1970s meant that tourists could easily motor to southern beaches at the Gold Coast. In 1990 The Oasis site was developed as an elite housing estate.